Friday, April 10, 2015

Topic Turmoil

Starting Junior Theme research was very difficult for me this week. I struggled greatly to find a topic that I really cared about. At first, I hoped to focus on a topic revolving around mental illness. However, after speaking with many people throughout the class, mental illness seemed to be a common topic. It was clearly a very interesting issue to many, but I wanted to choose a topic that most people were not researching.

I've always loved music so I started to consider making that my topic. I've always wondered why music has been so captivating, so enjoyable, so universally loved. Researching its psychological effects became the my goal. Yet, as I began searching for my answer to why music has such a profound effect on listeners, I realized that I wasn't focusing on an American issue. Music's psychological impacts on people interested me greatly, but if I researched that topic, I wouldn't be following the assignment.

Therefore, I decided to pick a new topic once again. I brainstormed many ideas with my parents, trying to come up with issues that truly interested me. The first thing that came to my mind was movies. I've enjoyed watching movies for all my life. Except, I've always tried to avoid ultra-violent films. Unlike me, many people seek violent films in the theaters. Over time, extreme violence has become more difficult to avoid when choosing a movie to watch. I began wondering why this violence has increased in movies. Then, I realized I had my question to research. In the end, it all came down to thinking about my interests, while not forgetting to focus on an issue surrounding that topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment