Sunday, October 5, 2014

Racism Is A Reality

Youtube videos rarely cause me to cover my mouth in disbelief, to continuously mutter "What?!", and to feel completely disgusted by the world we live in. Yet, I recently viewed a video that caused me to react in that exact fashion. A dash cam video (watch below or through this link) from a patrol car of a South Carolina trooper, Sean Groubert, was released this past week, and I really struggled to comprehend its content. I couldn't believe my eyes! In the video, the trooper pulls up next to an unarmed black man, Levar Jones, at a gas station. Groubert immediately yells at the man, screaming for him to pull out his license. Jones reaches for his wallet inside the car, but that action seems like a "crime'' to the trooper. Firing shots left and right, Groubert claims Jones was trying to lunge back into his car to headfirst to avoid the trooper. Yet, unarmed Levar Jones only continues to shout "Why did you shoot me?" as he kneels in agony, unable to regain feeling in one of his legs.




I don't regret taking three minutes to watch this dash cam video, despite its slightly graphic nature. This video showed me the truth. It allowed me to fully grasp the idea that racism is still prevalent throughout our nation, even if many people try to argue that it is no longer an issue. In fact, African Americans are "three times more likely to be stopped and searched by the police than whites, more than three times more likely to be handcuffed, [and] almost three times more likely to be arrested." This shooting of Levar Jones, just like the shootings of Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin, didn't need to occur. Somehow, we need to end these shootings. Somehow, we need to end racism. 

1 comment:

  1. It is truly disgusting that events such as this are occurring on a day to day basis in America. I've heard all about the Trayvon Martin/Michael Brown/Jordan Davis shootings but seeing one on video hits you in a completely different way. Police violence and discrimination is still a massive problem in America today despite the advancements we've made towards equality. I hope that someday these stories are a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete