Saturday, September 6, 2014

Book to Movie to Profit


A few days ago, my friend and I decided to watch If I Stay, a beloved novel by Gayle Forman transformed into film. As we sat quietly in the theaters awaiting the opening scene of the movie, a trailer for The Maze Runner flashed onto the screen. Another amazing book was being turned into a movie? My mind exploded with excitement, enthusiasm, and curiosity. I couldn’t wait for September 19th, The Maze Runner’s release date.


As the trailer came to an end, I began to think closely about how many book-to-movie films had been released this year. In just the past five months, I had watched Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars, and The Giver, all film adaptions of popular books. Yet, over two dozen more of these books-turned-movies will be coming to theaters between September and November. One of the most highly anticipated motion pictures of 2014, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1, will arrive on November 21st. After all, Hunger Games: Catching Fire earned $864,565,663 in the box office last year. Many other literature-based thrillers similar to The Hunger Games hope to achieve comparable numbers in the box office.


 Will this book-to-movie craze continue on for years to come? Since our society has become so reliant on technology, I hope that we don't only resort to watching movie adaptations of incredible pieces of literature. Much of the magic we spot on screen originates within the books themselves. Nevertheless, I wonder whether these novel-based motion pictures will affect authors' writing choices. In the end, maybe it is all about getting onto the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment